Having met with enthusiasm the New year 2019, for which the team of the Institute of Cell Therapy has planned numerous ambitious projects, we would like to summarize our achievements in the past year.
1) The Institute of Cell Therapy is the leader on the Ukrainian medical market in the field of cryopreservation of human cells and tissues.
Today, Cryobank of the Institute of Cell Therapy owns methods for freezing cord blood stem cells, umbilical cord, placenta, isolating and cultivating of mesenchymal stem cells from various sources, chondrocytes (cartilage cells), etc. Within the framework of the clinical trials, the Cryobank of the Institute of Cell Therapy provides cell and tissue transplants to the leading research institutes of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine and state clinics of the country.
2) The Institute of Cell Therapy again confirmed its compliance to the high international quality standard ISO 9001: 2015.
The Cryobank of the Institute of Cell Therapy is the only cord blood bank and one of the few medical centers in Ukraine accredited according to the high international quality standard ISO. All divisions of the Institute of Cell Therapy are regularly audited for compliance with the international quality standards ISO, that is an additional guarantee of the high quality of our services for the clients.
3) Representatives of the Institute of Cell Therapy took part in the scientific meeting of the International Placenta Stem Cell Society (IPLASS).
Since 2013, the Institute of Cell Therapy is a member of the International Placental Stem Cell Society. The researchers of the Cryobank annually take part in international conferences organized by this organisation, and in 2014 received an award from IPLASS for a series of studies on the biological properties of stem cells of the placenta. In 2018, the Fifth Scientific Meeting of the International Placental Stem Cell Society took place in Bern, Switzerland and the conference program contained 3 lectures of the Cryobank scientists.
4) The launch of scientific cooperation with the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
In August 2018, a scientific meeting between the representatives of the Institute of Cell Therapy and the Laboratory of Viral and Cellular Genetics of the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic was held in Prague (the Czech Republic). Scientists discussed the issues on the role of certain genes in mesenchymal stem cells in different biological models and agreed on joint research.
5) Two articles of the Institute of Cell Therapy team of authors were published in the prestigious international journals Cytometry Part A and Oncology Letters.
In the international scientific community the professional level of a scientist or a laboratory is judged based on the status of scientific journals that accept their papers. Among the international journals that published the results of the Institute of Cell Therapy research were such journals as Placenta (impact factor – 2.8), BioMed Research International (impact factor— 2.583) and Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine (impact factor – 1.56). And in 2018, our articles were published by such international peer-reviewed journals as Cytometry Part A (impact factor – 3.26 and Oncology Letters (impact factor — 1.6).
6) Implementation of the international grant project COST action CA17116 of the European Cooperation in Science and Technology.
The Cryobank of the Institute of Cell Therapy was awarded an international grant from the European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) for the implementation of the scientific project COST action CA17116 on the study of placenta stem cells. European Cooperation in Science and Technology since 1971 receives funding from The European Union to implement the most promising scientific projects.
7) Improving the skills of Cryobank specialists in Ukraine and the UK.
In 2018, Cryobank employees underwent internships in the field of “Innovations in Cell Biology” (Kiev) and “Genome Editing: Design of an Experiment with the CRISPR-Cas9 System” (Kiev), as well as according to the workshop programme “PHE and ECACC Advanced Cell Culture: A Practical Approach workshop” (London, England).
8) Participation in the XI International Parnas Conference.
A representative of the Cell Culture Laboratory of the Institute of Cell Therapy gave an oral plenary report on the topic “Identification of env retrovirus genes in the Gallus gallus genome and analysis of their expression during early embryogenesis” at the XI International Parnas Conference (Kiev, 2018).
9) Publication of the scientific journal “Cell and Organ Transplantology”.
In 2013, the Institute of Cell Therapy founded the scientific journal “Cell and Organ Transplantology”, unique in its field, which was approved by the State Attestation Authority of Ukraine and is included in the main international scientometric databases. For the 6th year, the journal has been published with the exceptional financial support of the Institute of Cell Therapy.
10) Active participation in the activities of professional international associations and the Association of cryobanks of cord blood, other human tissues and cells.
During many years, the Institute of Cell Therapy has supported the professional membership in the International Society for Cell Therapy (ISCT), the International Placenta Stem Cell Society (IPLASS), and is also a co-founder and an active member of the Association of Cryobanks. During 2018, the management of the Institute of Cell Therapy took an active part in the working meetings of the Association of Cryobanks and the realization of public and educational projects.